Saturday, November 15, 2008

On the road again

I was so nostalgic at the end – though looking forward to a hot shower and a real bed, I was sad that they journey had come to an end. There were frustrations throughout the trip – why do goats and people have to occupy the same living space ? why is every day so unpredictable ? why is there no trash system or recycling here and how are people okay with trash collecting in heaps in their villages ? why don’t people understand the severity of malnutrition ? how can you accept a child dying ? why aren’t these clinical reporting form completed in the health centers ? why the disorganization ? – but I feel very fortunate to have been a guest in each of the villages. I’m also grateful for the camaraderie amongst the team and for their acceptance of and patience with me. At the end, one of the supervisors told me that if I come back to Mali again, I won’t be starting from scratch.

No comments: