
It’s watermelon season here and, hands-down, the most refreshing thing to eat when it can’t possibly get any hotter outside and we haven’t passed a market to buy fruit for days. Despite carting around a whole carton of « Shelby’s water » in the car (while everyone else drank straight from the pumps or wells), I think my constant state of dehydration and steady diet of rice, meat, biscuits, and nuts rendered watermelon an extra special treat for me. Although I honestly can’t say why it turned out to be such a funny point with everyone, I earned myself the nickname « Mademoiselle Pasteque », I think because my enthusiasm for the fruit made the team laugh since I always broke into an enormous grin every time when someone cut one up for the group and invariably handed me the largest wedge. Maybe they all just assumed that I was crazy and it seemed like a good excuse to laugh at me and to let me think that they were laughing with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment