I’m sitting at the kitchen table listening to the waves and the sounds of a drum circle on the sand below the apartment. The sight, smell, and sound of the ocean ...
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Déjà vu
I arrived in Dakar this afternoon, on the same flight that had first brought me here nearly 2 months ago. It seemed far less taxing, traveling only 2 hours from Bamako this time, rather than across the continent. I’m exhausted from the field work though. I was dead asleep on the plane when I awoke to, « fish or beef ? » I must have looked at the flight attendant as though he was from Mars because I muttered something in French and he returned the look. Then it dawned on me, « hey, he’s speaking English ! No need for any confusion here ! » I think I’ve been attempting to function in a continuous state of confusion for as long as I’ve been listening to Bambara and French in Mali that I was taken aback to hear proper English from the Kenya Airways man. The fish wasn’t half bad and I smiled as I took bites of watermelon served in a little side dish, thinking of Mlle. Pasteque and the adventures in the field.
It’s tough being in Dakar, staying in an apartment with a view …
I’m sitting at the kitchen table listening to the waves and the sounds of a drum circle on the sand below the apartment. The sight, smell, and sound of the ocean ...

I’m sitting at the kitchen table listening to the waves and the sounds of a drum circle on the sand below the apartment. The sight, smell, and sound of the ocean ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I miss you She-ppy! Hope you have a blast in TZ and will call you after Tday in the US. xoxo Jess
Shelbs - You are amazing me with your stories!
If you get a free few minutes on the computer check this out...
http://pentimalli.com/Courtney/index.html
Take care. XO Erin Keenan
Post a Comment