As we approached the archipelago, I spotted atolls - patches of turquoise water and white sand that stood out from the surrounding deep blue of the Indian Ocean - with dive boats nearby, and then the main island of Zanzibar took shape. It was a clear day and Stone Town was awesome to view from the ferry with the red rooftops and old, historic buildings.
Upon leaving the gates between the ferry terminal and the street, I was swarmed by guys ("ticks" they're called) asking if I wanted a taxi, a guide, needed a hotel, etc. It was completely overwhelming, even after being warned to expect such harrassment, but I made my way through the crowd and to my hotel on my own.
I stayed in a quaint family-run hotel called the Abuso Inn and had a view of the ocean from my room. The owner let me choose which room I wanted to stay in, then I dropped off my bag, changed into some clean clothes, and set out to wander. Stone Town is well-known for its artistic, beautifully detailed, carved wooden doors. I had a field day getting lost wandering the narrow streets and snapping photos of the doors that I stumbled upon and people who lived in the buildings.
I ate lunch at a cafe by the water that someone in Dar had recommended and enjoyed sitting there, in the shade with the ocean breeze, that after lunch I ordered a fresh fruit smoothie just because I needed something else to help me cool off. It was a mix of pineapple, papaya, mango, and lemon ... in a word, heavenly. I jotted some thoughts in my journal and watched the dhows sail by, some with fishermen, others with tourists.
I walked off lunch in search of the church which was built on the site of the early slave trade, since there is a memorial and small museum there. I couldn't find it despite consulting an updated map, and felt like I was circling near the area for an hour or two. I didn't really mind, though, it was kind of fun to walk around with no agenda or timeline other than wanting to be back at the hotel before dark. I suddenly came across a crown of people and then my nose caught up - whiffs of spices, fish, meat, vegetables all emanating from the same place.
The next morning I checked out of the hotel and took a shuttle from Stone Town to Matemwe Beach Village on the northeast coast of Zanzibar. I rode in the minibus with a friendly couple of Zurich who were on holiday and when we arrive, as I had expected, it was a laid-back resort perfect for honeymooners. Of course, I had to chuckle that I was on a solo vacation amidst couples and felt self-conscious for about 2 minutes before I got over that and parked myself on the powdery white sand. It felt like I was walking through flour, the sand was so fine and light. The water was too inviting to stay on the beach, so I went swimming and the water felt like a bathtub. It was awesome. I've never seen such clear water, or such gorgeous combinations of turquoise, greens, and blues. I picked up a couple of interesting shells along the shore and soon had a handful of delicate shells. I left them on the table outside my room (a little bungalow which had a short sandy path to the beach) and enjoyed a thoroughly lazy day: swimming, reading, napping, sauntering the beach.
I got up early the next morning and went for a run on the beach and passed men riding bicyles on the sand to the mosque and watched the fishermen in the water. I took the later shuttle back to Stone Town and found a fantastic Indian restaurant to duck into for lunch just as the dark clouds in the sky opened up with a soaking downpour. I had wanted to take a tour of the spice plantations in the morning but feared that if I stayed another day longer, it would be cutting it short for my flight to London the following day... I just didn't want to push my luck on Africa time. But the meal was a flavorful combination of spices and I had a few bags of spices to take home with me. Besides, I was having a wonderful time, and it's not a bad thing to leave while the party's good, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment