Tonight is my last night in Dar and I'm a bit nostalgic although really looking forward to coming home for a few weeks. Just yesterday, on the ferry from Zanzibar to Dar, I got so excited about seeing my family, friends, and being home for the holidays before I go back to Dakar. This evening we went to dinner at a restaurant overlooking the ocean and - because the two women I've been staying with are also going to the U.S. in a week - were listing the things we're most looking forward to at home. Cold weather wasn't exactly something any of us are looking forward to, other than as a respite from the humidity here in Dar. Topping the lists were Christmas and New Year's traditions with family, brunch, Mexican food, real milkshakes (that aren't just shaken milk).
I've left so many things for another trip though, and look forward to coming back to East Africa one day to visit people, go camping, safari, take the spice tour in Zanzibar, visit Ngorongoro crater, climb Kilimanjaro, sail a dhow... just a few dreams. It's been wonderful to be a guest here and I still marvel every day that I'm here. People have taken such good care of me and I'm looking forward to the next chapter in Dakar, starting in January.
But first, I'll be taking a few turns at Alpental and can't wait to see you Seattle folks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So happy that you will be stateside for the holidays. Any chance those of us in Cali will get to see you??? Possibly a stop-over in SF? We will be around over the holidays ready for a Shelby fly-by-the-seat-of-her-pants visit!
xoxo safe travels on your way home!
Post a Comment