My flight from New York arrived at 6 in the morning in Dakar, and the city lights stood out after flying across the ocean in the pitch black of the night. The Dakar airport is apparently well-known for the shocking effect it has on first-time visitors: everyone descends from the plane onto the tarmac and packs into a bus that takes everyone to the main terminal, then everyone swarms to get a landing card and go through immigration before picking up luggage and loading it through an x-ray machine. One might be exhausted from the sheer number of people pushing through the line at this point, but the real fun begins the minute one exits the terminal. Men yell out, "Taxi? Taxi? Madam, taxi?" and insist on following you even if you decline. Five or six will surround your cart of luggage and pick up your bags and carry them for you unless you are firm enough in saying that you don't require their help. One of the organization's drivers was waiting for me and was a friendly face to see amidst the sea of hecklers. While he went to get the car, 3 or 4 others asked if I needed a taxi and followed me to the car and loaded my luggage, despite the driver shooing them away. I reached into my bag and grabbed a few American coins - all I had accessible - and gave it to them just so they'd give me some space!
It was hard to leave Seattle after a few weeks of visiting family and friends during the holidays, but I've been welcomed warmly here and folks in the office where I'm working seem happy to see me again. I'm really excited about the projects I'll be working on and am happy to be in Dakar for a longer period of time.
Franklin is the resident dog at the home where I'm staying until I find a place of my own. Such a good dog and the nicest daily welcome wagon!
No comments:
Post a Comment