As one might imagine, coming from the US, what a town called Bobo lacks in some aspects of urbanization, in makes up for in charm. I turned into somewhat of a coffee snob in Seattle (actually, that’s not true, I think I’ve always been keen on strong coffee) and have splurged on good coffee in Dakar rather than Nescafe instant coffee. However, Nescafe with sweetened condensed milk is a whole other discussion. There are two women who sell coffee across the street from the research institute and they have successfully changed my opinion of instant Nescafe. The first day, they poured two heaping spoonfuls of sweetened consdensed milk in a glass, added a tiny half a spoonful of Nescafe, and then filled the glass with hot water. It was, well, sweet, but for 100 CFA I wasn’t about to complain.
The next day, I went with my housemate who has turned this into her local Starbucks. She asked for a coffee but then, Sally Albright style, ordered it with half the amount of milk and twice the amount of coffee. The lady behind the counter looked a bit perplexed but humored us and prepared the coffees as requested. Delish, this round… and she even let us take them “to go” – I just made sure to return the glasses before they close shop for the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment