Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Joy of Two Wheels

Yesterday morning there were already 4 passengers in the taxi that pulled over for me, so one of the guys in back jumped into the front seat (so they were sitting two in the front passenger seat) and gave me his spot in the backseat. What a gentleman! While Dakar has it’s fair share of newer taxis and most of Bobo’s taxis have seen better days, the shared taxi protocol is much more entertaining.

We are starting our training for field workers/data collectors tomorrow and I feel that there are so many preparations that need to be completed before we can start, but I’m trying to be flexible while also trying to set a high standard of the quality of our research methods … finding that balance in a foreign setting is tricky. Katie left for Banfora for the week with her team to work in a lab there, and she left me her bike and bike helmet to use while she is away - it was really fun to ride around on it today, and to commute by bike again. Although the rice and sauce I’ve grown accustomed to eating is fine, I can’t eat it every day. I know, I’m too American, but I just can’t. So, I rode to a Lebanese restaurant for lunch today that had stage 17 of the Tour de France on the tube. It was a really nice break to clear my head and veg out while watching Lance Armstrong climb the Col de Romme as I ate hummus and pita.

No comments: