Sunday, September 21, 2008

Karibu, Jess!

I’ve dreamed of coming to Africa for a long time. I spent much of the summer looking for work abroad and this trip started to take shape when, one evening in Seattle, Jessica said, “Come with me to the conference in Tanzania!” Although my first 36 hours had gone smoothly, I felt more relaxed in the company of a good friend and was so happy to meet up with her on my second day.

Friends of hers took us out on a boat to one of the small islands off the coast of Dar for the day, where went swimming, collected shells, and ate fish and chips for lunch. A dip in the ocean felt like a relaxing bath - the water was clear and warm, and the waves gently rolled to shore. Later on in the day we visited a craft market, called the Slipway, and then enjoyed a delicious meal of beef Bourgogne, fresh green salad, and sweet pineapple slices.

No comments: