I left Dar es Salaam for Nairobi, the first leg of a long flight across the African continent, where I had an overnight layover. I was delighted to meet up with a familiar face from public health school, especially after taking a taxi ride from the airport where the driver asked me to help him get to America. Apparently it’s common for foreigners to be asked for such help, or asked outright for money. It took me aback initially but I recalled others talking about how frequently it happens and managed to change the subject.
Rob and his roommate, Obi, greeted me at a hotel just down the street from their house where the taxi dropped me off, and then treated me to dinner at Rob’s favorite Ethiopian restaurant in Nairobi. Rob’s

a brave soul to drive there.
Rob and Obi were wonderful hosts and it was fun to hear about their research in HIV and malaria, respectively. Hopefully I will have the chance to return and visit with enough time to go camping with them in Kenya!
No comments:
Post a Comment