In Koudougou there was lots of head-bumping: left, right, left, right. It’s the traditional New Year’s greeting, accompanied by the phrase, “Santé, Prospérité, Moins de Problemes” (health, properity, few problems) and sometimes an additional “best wishes.” For the following week at work, we were still bumping heads and wishing everyone happy new year. It still makes me laugh every time I shake someone's hand and they bump my head four times. I can't imagine the same greeting in America, but it makes me smile and reminds me that I find Burkina is remarkable for the people. I’m most impressed with the sense of pride that people have in their country and their traditions, and their sense of humor, particularly in light of limited resources. Most people I have met here through work say they wouldn’t want to leave: this is home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment