Sunday, December 20, 2009
'Tis the Season
Last week I met a scientist that was visiting the research center in Bobo for a couple of meetings with the ethics committee, seeking their approval to proceed with a study. He’s Burkinabe and has studied in Europe and the US and has returned to Burkina Faso to work. I asked about his project and he explained some of the delays; we decided it’s part of these kinds of projects. We spoke about the funding agency for the study he is working on in a rural area north of the capital city, and he said to me, “You Americans, who have so many resources, must share them.” He said it so straightforward, matter-of-factly, shrugged his shoulders and smiled. We who are given much have a responsibility to share. Simply by virtue of where I was born and raised, I have had the opportunity to go to school and pursue work that I find interesting and meaningful. I’m lucky.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment