Leslie and I made a mutually favorite comfort food last night: tuna noodle casserole (with canned green peas, onions, dehydrated cream of mushroom soup, and cheese). Leslie said was suffering from what she dubbed as "Africa Sickness" - i.e., gastrointestinal uproar – so we decided that comfort food was needed, stat. Even though a liter of water mixed with ORS and the BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) diet would probably be better for a digestive system that was on strike than tuna noodle casserole, the TNC seemed to fit the bill.
Maybe it’s the missing fall at home that made me crave comfort food. I miss making pumpkin soup and apple cobbler, sitting cozy by a fireplace, bundling up in an extra fleece, seeing who will make it to the World Series, watching the leaves change color and gradually drop from the trees, piling up on the streets. It's still hovering around 90F daily here, and it feels hotter than the first week after I arrived. Someone said it’s like the mini hot season before it starts to get cooler, but I don’t know if it’s true.
It was slightly cooler for one brief evening last week, so that I finally felt somewhat comfortable, but clearly it had signaled to locals that the cold is coming. Leslie and I came home from dinner, wearing t-shirts, to find our guard sitting in an ankle-length wool coat.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment